Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chickens and rabbits for sustainability


The most sustainable small farm livestock might be fish in a pond. Building a habitat for them can be very expensive. I intend to do it but it is not yet near the top of my priority list. Chickens raised for meat and eggs can fend for themselves for several days at a time if given the basics they need like protection from predators, food, water and shelter. Colony raised rabbits can thrive longer at a time with less human intervention and a less expensive setup. Ask any Australian. They can develop their own subterranean habitat and will forage for their food. If given a dependable water supply they can be self sustaining for maybe weeks at a time. One thing they require is constant thinning to prevent over population of their home. I am planning an earth sheltered 4X4 with an earthen floor and a lockable hinged top so I can give them feed, water hay and bedding. I expect them to build tunnels from there throughout the fenced orchard. I see no reason they can not share the above ground part of the orchard with the chickens. Each tree will be fenced to protect the bark. I had caged New Zealand Whites years ago. At that time “they” said that rabbits could not be raised on the ground because of internal parasites. I intend to help prevent this possibility by adding DE to their feed. The chickens are thriving on it. I will build a double overhead swinging door entrance to the hutch that lets them go in, out or both depending on how it is set. That can be used for protecting, inspecting and harvesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment